Get a Library Card
Permanent residents of the Northern Rockies Regional Municipality may join the library free of charge with proof of residency.
Members of other BC libraries can also register to borrow materials through these methods:
- Sitka Evergreen libraries are interconnected, and can register for a BC OneCard easily with your physical library card.
- Non-Sitka libraries can register through the BC OneCard provincial program.
Patrons must present their card at each transaction to borrow materials and access some Library services. Patrons without their cards will be required to verify their account by providing a valid form of identification or validating information on the account.
You are responsible for all the materials borrowed on your card and for any charges on items that are overdue, lost or damaged. Borrowing privileges may be suspended when a patron exceeds $20.00 or violates other Library policies.
Library cards expire every three years. Expired Library cards may be renewed upon payment for any accounts that are not in good standing (if required) and verification of borrower information.
It is the responsibility of the Library member to ensure that borrowed materials are returned on time.
- The Library may impose fines or other penalties for overdue materials to encourage their return.
- The Library will attempt to contact members with overdue material to remind them to return it.
- It is the member’s responsibility to ensure that contact information is accurate and up to date.
- Library staff will consider requests for alternative ways to pay or waive fines on a case-by-case basis.
If an item is deemed to be overdue, a fine will be imposed as follows:
- Adult materials – 25¢ /day per item, to accrue a maximum of $5.00
- Juvenile and Young Adult materials – 10¢ /day per item, to accrue a maximum of $5.00 per item
- DVD’s Adult and Juvenile – $1/day per item, to accrue a maximum of $5.00 per item
- Lendable Technology – $5/day per item, to accrue a maximum of $20.00 per item
Borrowing privileges will be revoked when a patron reaches $20.00 in fees. Borrowing privileges will be reinstated when a patron pays enough on their account to lower the fees to under $20.00.
All accounts must be in good standing (below the $20.00 threshold) when library cards are renewed. Library cards are renewed every three years.
Lost or stolen cards
If you lose your library card, you are responsible for any items checked out on your card. Lost or stolen cards should be reported immediately; once reported missing, the card will be locked from further use. Patrons are responsible for all material borrowed with their card until it is reported missing.
Lost or damaged cards may be replaced for a fee; replacement fees are $5.00.